HAPPY BIRTHDAY, LIONEL MESSI: Lionel Messi was born on June 24, 1987 in Rosari, Argentina as Luis Lionel Andres Messi. One of the world’s greatest footballers comes from a low-income family. In fact, when he was diagnosed with a growth hormone deficiency at the age of 11, his parents were unable to afford his $900-per-month treatment. He could only receive the treatment after signing a contract with FC Barcelona and moving to Spain. His treatment had been paid for by the football club.
Messi’s personal life is happy, as he has been married to Antonella Roccuzzo since 2017. Thiago Messi, Ciro Messi, and Mateo Messi are the couple’s three sons. He is not only a fantastic player, but also a fantastic human being. The footballer has made numerous charitable contributions.
- The footballer is also known as ‘The Flea’ for his agility and speed.
- Messi is one of the richest football players in the world.
- Carles Rexach, Barcelona’s first team director was so impressed with his skills that he signed him immediately. Since there was no paper available at that moment the contract was written on a tissue paper.
- Messi made his FC Barcelona debut in 2003 in a match against RCD Espanyol. He was all of 17 at that time and was the third youngest person ever to play for Barcelona. Not only that he was also the youngest player to ever score for the club.
- He has two passports. As he is a citizen of Argentina and Spain. He took Spanish citizenship in 2005.
- Messi inherited the Barcelona jersey No.10 from iconic footballer Ronaldinho in 2008.
- The footballer won his first FIFA World Player of the Year award in 2009.
- The Royal Spanish Football Federation had approached the ace player to join the Spanish Football Team but he denied the offer.
- He founded the Leo Messi Foundation that aims at providing children with the best education and healthcare facilities.
- After moving out of Barcelona, Messia plays as a forward for Ligue 1 club Paris Saint-Germain (PSG)